ocba - [ocba] Wax moths

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Wax moths
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 21:08:19 +0000

Hello,
I recently started a nuc that I asked the group about previously.  I went back into the nuc today- after just 6 days and saw that wax moths were moving in.
At this time, I have queen cells that look like they are forming in the middle frames. I took the 2 frames with wax moth webbing and burned them (thankfully these were outer frames and not the ones with what I think are queen cells). I also cleaned out the entire single nuc box- all moth larvae were killed off by burning or our hens.  I put in another frame of pollen/ nectar from one of our strong hives and reassembled the nuc, but I don't want to mess with our 2 healthy hives anymore.
Any thoughts? Is this nuc doomed? I did a nuc split for practice as this is my first full year of bee keeping, so input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shadi Ana
--
Shadi Cinpinski,