ocba - Re: [ocba] Identifying weeds/potential pollinator plants

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Identifying weeds/potential pollinator plants
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 08:14:29 -0400

These are great resources, Michael. The NC Botanical Garden is another.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm> wrote:

Meredith,

I’m in the same boat, as we also have about 2 acres fenced from deer, that we are re-habbing with native wildflowers and shrubs.

NC State has great info here: https://gardening.ces.ncsu.edu/weeds/ and the key to lawn weeds, many of which are also outside the lawn: http://turfid.ncsu.edu/

For example, here is my greatest enemy, Japanese Stiltgrass: http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/weeds/japanese-stiltgrass It’s found anywhere a forest or roadside has been disturbed.

As for the plants you want to keep or acquire, I like Wildflowers of North Carolina by Justice, Bell and Ritchie; UNC Press, http://amzn.to/2rWUnJm .

There are nice lists of native pollinators at the Xerces Society site. http://xerces.org/pollinator-conservation/plant-lists/

In my opinion, non-natives are fine in the garden as long as they are non-invasive and you can control them. Borage ( Borago officianalis) comes to mind – honey  bees strongly agree: https://www.permaculturenews.org/images/borage_pagliaro2.jpgAnd it’s a great companion plant for tomatoes.

Michael Morrissey
Durham, NC
919.236.3230