ocba - Re: [ocba] Video of bees in duke forest

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: James Latimer <PipesNC AT live.com>
  • To: Robert Crook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>, "beecd AT icloud.com" <beecd AT icloud.com>, "bynumhoekstra AT gmail.com" <bynumhoekstra AT gmail.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Video of bees in duke forest
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 15:20:14 +0000

Rob,

It is hard to tell with the focused video.  I can be more sure if I saw more of the area.  But my guess would be that a Honey Bee had landed near some ground nesting bees and those bees were defending there territory.  Without a bigger picture hard to tell exactly.  But the other bees are much smaller and almost look like Halictidae or Andrenidae species.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Ornamentals_and_Turf/lawn/note100/note100.html

Keep on keeping on,

Jamie