ocba - Re: [ocba] Queen issues

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Brad Kosiba <bradkosiba AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Queen issues
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:33:59 -0400

You should give them 24 hours between pinching the old queen and installing the cage with new one. If it we're me I would leave both corks in and look for acceptance before allowing queen release about 4 days later.

Going for more resistant genetics in a new queen is not a bad idea. Some in the club have experience with available breeders. Just be sure they are ok to sell in NC, the 2017 list is on the NCSBA website.

Cheers, Brad