ocba - Re: [ocba] Man with a hive beetle plan

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Caleb Haynes <calebthaynes AT gmail.com>
  • To: Brad Kosiba <bradkosiba AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Man with a hive beetle plan
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 21:08:07 -0400

Possibly. Worth a test, which wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks. However even if his specific method isn't the best he has discovered a weakness we may be able to exploit. A substance that the SHB cannot cross. I actually painted my two hives with never wet when I was in NC and never had more than a handful of beetles at a time. I thought it was a fluke or that my landlord had put some sort of pesticide in the surrounding ground before I moved in. Now I'm wondering if it was because I painted the entrance and the beetles had a difficult time accessing the hive. Couldn't get a grip lol.