ocba - Re: [ocba] Swarm above my house

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mark powers <markapowers53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rob Cook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Swarm above my house
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:21:12 -0400

That's probably better than close to the old hive.  Swarm traps are more likely to be successful if at least 300 ft from the prior hive, I believe.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 12, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Rob Cook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

So it has been an interesting morning with a swarm leaving my hive and then resting in a pine branch 40 feet in the air. I have queen pheromone on a cotton ball in an empty hive next to the hive where they swarmed from. I have taken out the entrance reducer added a fresh dose of queen pheromone.

Any ideas on how to get this swarm back into one of my hive boxes? I really liked the queen it was a very mellow hive.

Should I move the empty hive super to directly below this swarm to get it closer to them?

Rob Crook