ocba - Re: [ocba] whether to combine a weak hive with a strong one (and how)

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rachel Franke <rfranke AT gmail.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] whether to combine a weak hive with a strong one (and how)
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:10:22 -0400

Rachel,

The article <here> has tips on combining hives. Let me know if you have questions after reading it.

Randall Austin

On 4/9/2017 4:41 PM, Rachel Franke wrote:
CAEQJx_Dsusf6g6q58dvkLg46pb_Z-x49RHU+LyDZG7vUD_smVQ AT mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
I have a hive doing well, installed from a package 3 weeks ago, and a hive a caught swarm 2.5 weeks ago doing ok now but with no sign of a queen (or queen cells). I was wondering about combining the weak hive with the strong one, and if I do that, how to do it. As I understand a newspaper combine, one would usually put the weak colony on top of the strong one with a sheet or two of newspaper in between, but I've been using a top feeder on both hives. Any suggestions for combining or other options? (I had very bad luck last year with introducing bought queens to packages whose queens didn't make it, and lost both of those hives by June.)

Thanks in advance,
Rachel