ocba - [ocba] First year bee-keeper

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] First year bee-keeper
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 13:12:48 -0400

Hello everyone,

What are the thoughts on a very FULL hive (two 8 frame deep supers) that has evidence of a queen- queen spotted, larva in various stages, but I didn't see any eggs. Both top and bottom supers have larva and nectar (some capped honey). I saw some funky cells (one looks like it MAY have been a supercedure cell).

Questions:
1) Shall I add a medium (already have drawn out comb and some nectar on the frames)? If so, how will this impact adding the honey super- or will this become the honey super? Do I need the excluder?
2) Should I stop feeding entirely?
3) When is the best time - in this area- to add honey supers? Late-April?

Thank you for the input!
--
Shadi Cinpinski,
704-589-0992

  • [ocba] First year bee-keeper, Shadi Cinpinski, 04/04/2017