ocba - [ocba] Bees will be Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Bees will be Bees
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:57:18 -0400

I helped install 2 packages today. First was perfect, removed queen & placed
her on a frame and then set box down in hive & walked away.

BUT the second looked ok on the outside, just a few dead bees on bottom not
much, but when i pulled the queen cage she & all her attendants were dead!!

JPEG image

Upon inspection we found a stinger inside the cage and they had pulled 5 of
her legs off! Im thinking they balled them as i didn't find any other
stingers.

JPEG image

The battle pile! 😬😞

JPEG image

So what im GUESSING at this point is there was a loose queen in the package
with all the bees. She must have had a stronger scent, been their morher or
just easy access increased bonding.

At this stage its just guessing & a hunch based on bee biology-behavior. So
ill go back in tomorrow & look for a queen. If nothing ill go back in sat and
look for eggs & a queen. If nothing ill either combine or find a queen.

Life is never dull when you keep bees. Just when you think you've seen it
all. 🤔😁😂

  • [ocba] Bees will be Bees, Marty Hanks, 03/29/2017