ocba - [ocba] Package Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Sam Costello <swcostello3 AT icloud.com>
  • To: Katja via ocba <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Package Bees
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 17:49:41 -0400

Hello Fellow Bee Keepers,

I have several questions about a package of bees I installed Saturday into my
hive.

One, the installation went okay, several stings, but place the queen on frame
4 facing out, candy up and cork out of candy side. I placed queen using
rubber band. 2:1 sugar water to feed, pollen substitute on top of frames.
Check yesterday and queen out and moving on frames. Lots of workers working
on frames and drawing comb on foundations.

Two, I checked hive with out opening and saw foragers with pollen boots —
thinking queen is laying eggs. Checked today after class, opened hive and
almost all bees and queen gone — swarmed I guess. Some pollen in cells and
nectar (or sugar water) in cells too. Sugar water almost empty (quart jar
feeder).

Does anyone have a hypothesis why the queen may have left?

Can I buy a queen and try to save the hive?

Should I buy another package?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions,
Sam Costello