ocba - [ocba] Hive Relocation Question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Michael Baucom <mbaucom AT outlook.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Hive Relocation Question
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:15:54 +0000

Hi All,

I'll soon be moving to a new house and bringing my 1-year-old colony/hive with me.  The new house is only about 1/2 mile from my current house, so should I expect any problems or confusion with the bees still wanting to go "home" to the old location since it'll be so close to the new place and since their forage area won't change much?  As with the last time I moved hives, I plan to do it in the evening after most of the foragers have come back to the hive and so the next morning they'll be leaving from the new location, but if there are other precautionary steps I should take to minimize any relocation issues I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks very much for any input.

-Michael Baucom

Calvander / Dairyland area