ocba - Re: [ocba] Finally! Baby steps

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Pakis Bessias <pakis.bessias AT duke.edu>
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Finally! Baby steps
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 03:00:11 +0000

A quick glance at Laura Leslie’s piece tells me that House Bill 363, titled the Pollinator Protection Act can only help bees and other pollinators in NC.

If enacted, this bill will:

·         result in about 25 percent reduction of neonicotinoid pesticide use

·         require the North Carolina Pesticide Board to study the long-term costs and benefits of neonicotinoids

·         will put NC in step with 18 other states that have taken similar action, including Maryland, Connecticut and Minnesota in 2016

This Bill is sponsored by a formerly active beekeeper, Rep. Chuck McGrady.  Let’s give it our enthusiastic support!

Pakis,

Durham NC