ocba - Re: [ocba] Carrboro hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Rob Cook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm>, Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Carrboro hive
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 19:44:13 +0000 (UTC)

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Rob

On Monday, March 6, 2017 2:31 PM, Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm> wrote:

I have two hives doing the exact same thing. I was surprised that they came out when it was still around 55F.

--
Michael Morrissey
Durham, NC

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 01:35 PM, Randall Austin wrote:
Rob,
This is a large flush of bees making their first orientation flights. You'll see this every now and then throughout the year, especially on nice sunny days following cold or dreary weather.
If you pick out one of the bees coming out of the entrance and follow just that one, you'll see her crawl up the face of the hive and do a back-jump into the air. Then shes hovers in front of the hive, always facing the entrance, before landing again.
Great video.
Randall Austin