ocba - Re: [ocba] What's New with OCBA in the New Year

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Nerissa Rivera <nerissa.rivera AT duke.edu>
  • To: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] What's New with OCBA in the New Year
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 20:47:52 +0000

Nice lineup John and very timely.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
Date: 1/1/17 12:21 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [ocba] What's New with OCBA in the New Year

Happy New Year! If you are reading this message Orange County Beekeepers Association is an important part of your beekeeping life. So please take a few minutes to renew your OCBA membership for 2017. OCBA dues are a bargain at only $5! You can also pay your NC State Beekeepers Association dues ($15) through OCBA.

There are 3 ways to pay:
Online at http://theocba.org/about/join-or-renew-membership/
In person by cash or check at our January meeting
By mail by printing the application form (also found online) and sending a check to the address listed on the form.

Even if you have never been a member . . . Even if your membership isn’t active . . . Even if you can't come to every monthly meeting . . . Please support everything that OCBA does for the beekeeping community with your dues payment.

OCBA has great educational programs in place for our first 4 membership meetings in 2017. We are trying to focus our education programs on the continuing education needs of our members throughout the beekeeping season. OCBA’s goal is to help all our members continue to be the best educated and most effective beekeepers in the state. Let OCBA's executive committee members know what other topics will help you grow as a beekeeper.

January - Nutrition
In January we will be joined by Hannah Levenson. Hannah is doing research with Dr. David Tarpy's apiculture lab at NCSU. Her research focuses on the foraging preferences of native bees. This research is relevant to beekeepers because it helps beekeepers identify important pollen and nectar sources that attract and nourish honey bees.

February - Swarms and Colony Splits
In February Lewis Cauble, past president and member of OCBA and now NC Department of Agriculture Bee Inspector for the mountain region, will return to Orange County to help us plan for spring events in the apiary. He will discuss spring build up, swarm mitigation and colony splits. Spring is the time to increase our colonies via splits. Spring is also when we need to anticipate swarms and attempt to give our bees the space and environmental conditions that will keep them at home. Lewis will provide guidance on splits and swarm mitigation.

March - Hygienic Behavior to Control Varroa
In March we will be joined by Dr. Kaira Wagoner a post-doctoral fellow from Dr. Olav Rueppell’s bee lab at UNC-Greensboro. Kaira is investigating hygienic behavior. She recently discovered the chemical markers that encourage bees to open and clean cells containing varroa infected pupae.

April - Queen Health and Viral Disease
In April Dr. Esmaeil Amiri, another post-doctoral fellow in Dr. Rueppell's lab, will share his research on the transmission of viral disease during mating and the resultant effect of queen health on overall colony health.

OCBA’s Officers and Executive Committee Members for 2017
2017 President John Rintoul (beecd AT icloud.com)
2016 President Walter Starks (walterstarks AT icloud.com)
VIce-President Mark Powers (markapowers53 AT gmail.com)
Secretary Cynthia Speed (katrina501 AT aol.com)
Treasurer Mary Leonhardi (mleonhardi AT hotmail.com)
Director (Outreach) Chris Apple (chrisapple1231 AT gmail.com)
Director (Education) Randall Austin (s.randall.austin AT gmail.com)
Director (Mentoring) David Eckert (daveckert AT gmail.com)

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071 (M)

No trees or bees were killed in the distribution of this message, but countless electrons were seriously inconvenienced.