ocba - [ocba] What's that smell?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] What's that smell?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:18:59 -0400

Thank you, Randall! Your article, "What’s that Smell?” was perfectly timed.
(read at https://www.baileybeesupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Whats-that-smell.pdf)

Just yesterday I inspected the OCBA demonstration hives at Carrboro High School. The stink was distractingly noticeable. I checked my veil, my hat, my shirt and my pits. I lifted a frame of nectar tom give it a sniff. The stink was unmistakably coming from the hive. I have never experienced AFB or EFB and I hope never to have that displeasure.

This is my 4th year as a beekeeper. This is my first experience with the rank smell of fall honey production.

Even though the musty, rank smell coming from the CHS hives was unlike the descriptions of the foul brood diseases that I have heard I considered getting a second opinion from one of the state inspectors. Your article reminded me that fall honey is different - and saved Will Hicks or Don Hopkins a trip.

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071 (M)

No trees or bees were killed in the distribution of this message, but countless electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

  • [ocba] What's that smell?, John Rintoul, 09/29/2016