ocba - Re: [ocba] Hive beetles being selective?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Caleb Haynes <calebthaynes AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hive beetles being selective?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:41:38 -0400

Hi Caleb,

Each hive is different in both temperment & personality...kinda like us! 😳😉

It would be extremely rare to see the higher populated hive with "more" SHB's. Just the biology of hives.

I think what you are seeing is the difference in how the bees deal with SHB's. Having up to 50 hives at once allows me to get a bigger snapshot of hive maintenance.

Ive seen hives push SHB up...and others down. Again each hive is unique. So in the smaller colony remove all boxes and look on your bottom board. I found this same dilemma once years ago. I thought one was just fine until i took off the bottom hive body.

If this is true for that hive then you'll need to get those little paddles w/the plastic board on the end. It slides in the bottom.

Best of luck
Marty

Sent from my iPhone