ocba - [ocba] When is wax moth-damage to frames too much damage?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: rlfranke <rlfranke AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] When is wax moth-damage to frames too much damage?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:32:47 +0000 (UTC)

Neither of my packages got established this year, so I'm cleaning up and storing equipment for next year. At the end of their lives, both sets of 2 medium 8 boxes were robbed, then infested with wax moths. All four boxes & frames were frozen for 24 hours, but as I started scraping off wax moth larvae, a lot of the frames are more damaged than I realized, and have little-to-no foundation left. Some frames have little foundation but some of the drawn comb. (Maybe that comb can be re-used next year?) I've cleaned up the 8 least-damaged frames, but I'm wondering if even those 8 are going to be useful.

What are y'all's opinions on how to evaluate when a damaged frame is too damaged to be useful to a package next year?

Thanks,
Rachel Franke

  • [ocba] When is wax moth-damage to frames too much damage?, rlfranke, 08/14/2016