ocba - [ocba] Local Honey for The Good of the Hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: matthew AT matthewwiley.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Local Honey for The Good of the Hive
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2016 12:07:30 -0400

Many of you have already heard at Matt Wiley and The Good of the Hive. Matt's
honey bee murals have become iconic throughout the Triangle and North
Carolina. His most recent effort is now in progress on the wall of Carrboro's
Fire Station #1.

JPEG image

I met Matt for the first time today. I suggested that he coordinate with
local beekeepers to generate interest in honey bees, promote local beekeeping
and support for his art. Specifically, I suggested that he solicit donations
of local honey from beekeepers that he could then sell at well-above market
rate to fund his murals.

JPEG image

As proof of concept, I donated a 14 oz. honey bear. Within 5 minutes of
placing it on his table it was bought for $20. The purchaser initially balked
at the $20 price tag, but when told: 1) that the honey was locally produced;
and, 2) that the price supported both Matt's bee mural and local beekeeping
she quickly and happily pulled out her checkbook.

JPEG image

So to promote Matt's bee murals I am asking each member of OCBA to donate 1
jar of honey for The Good of the Hive. Matt will sell each jar for at least
$20 to support his work. A collection of local honey on his table will
promote Orange County Beekeepers and encourage people to think about and buy
local honey. And . . . buyers will be able to contact you directly if they
want more of your honey. It's a win-win for local honey sales and local bee
art.

If you would like to donate, bring a jar of honey to this week's OCBA meeting
and I will deliver it to Matt. Alternatively, you can stop by the Carrboro
Fire Station this week to watch Matt work and donate your honey directly to
him. FYI - You can learn more about Matt's work at: TheGoodoftheHive.com

-John

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071