ocba - Re: [ocba] Perpendicular comb?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Perpendicular comb?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 23:34:46 -0400

Michael,

I like plastic foundation but one of the drawbacks is that the bees often build comb offset from the plastic. They are much less likely to do this during a strong honey flow, i.e. 3 months ago. All you can do is cut it out and tell the bees to try again, doing it right this time. Make sure the plastic has a decent coating of wax -- you should be able to scratch up wax with your fingernail. If it doesn't, you can melt beeswax and paint it on the plastic.

9 frame spacing would make the problem much worse, not better. Plus, this medium should be part of your year-round brood chamber (a single deep is too skimpy), and 9 frame spacing in a 10 frame box isn't a good idea for the brood nest.

Randall Austin