ocba - [ocba] Question about feeding/timing

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Meredith Friedrick <friema16 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Question about feeding/timing
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 10:44:55 -0400

I'm a second year beekeeper and I have two hives that seem to be doing well -- one is two years old and the other is new as of this past April.  The older one was a rather weak hive coming out of winter but is now going "gangbusters" -- you all recommended that I feed it so they could build up and I have. I never extracted any honey from it (I mistakenly left the honey super on when I treated for varroa last fall), and left the super on all winter.

The bees in my new hive are still building on three of the ten frames in the brood chamber box. There is no super on this hive, although I plan to add a medium ASAP. Currently, I am feeding both hives with 1:1 sugar water.

My understanding is that I should continue to feed my new hive in order to supplement them during the build-up process. However, I don't understand the timing of feeding my old hive at this point.  I know there is a period of dearth coming up, but do I ever stop feeding them?  When do other beekeepers get real honey that comes from the bees vs sugar water? All of my bee's stores are going to be heavily sugar water.

Thanks for your advice -
Meredith Friedrick