ocba - [ocba] Split sale & land for your hive?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Fadem, Bronwyn Elizabeth" <bfadem AT live.unc.edu>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Split sale & land for your hive?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 10:53:09 +0000

Greetings OCBA!

I have written before, but I am the new beekeeper for Hope Gardens, a UNC
student run non-profit community garden at 2200 Homestead Rd. in Chapel Hill.
I have two questions and would like input from some of the more
experienced/knowledgeable beekeepers out there, as well as to gauge interest,
in general.

As a non-profit, we are always brainstorming ways to fundraise. I have two
ideas: selling a split (nuc?) and/or providing space for other beekeepers to
keep a hive or two out at our garden for an annual fee. We do not have the
funds to pay for a new hive setup to keep the split ourselves, so could
anyone let me know how I would go about preparing to split it and create a
nuc to sell? Or would anyone be interested in buying some brood frames and/or
a nuc? (I don't really know the technicalities)

Also, does anyone have experience with "renting" space at their property to
other beekeepers? I know some of you have mentioned obstacles with your
neighborhood association restrictions, for example, and I thought maybe it
would be possible and there would be interest in keeping a hive out at our
garden. Similar to how we rent community garden plots, we could offer space
for a hive at an annual fee. Our location has maintained extremely productive
and resilient bees for the last four summers. I have already harvested about
4 gallons of honey from our two hives this year, with another flow ready for
harvest soon! I'm not sure if this type of agreement is even possible or
desirable, but please feel free to let me know your thoughts or ask
questions.

Thanks so much!

Bronwyn Fadem

Hope Gardens Beekeeper

Co-Founder of Herban Garden, a community space that nurtures and inspires
underserved youth through food cultivation