ocba - Re: [ocba] Hives overturned on Walnut Grove & Sawmill

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Todd Walker <mtwalker AT imageray.net>
  • To: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hives overturned on Walnut Grove & Sawmill
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 13:33:06 -0400

Lewis Cauble contacted the owners. It was a super that had been set aside to be robbed out.

From: ocba <ocba-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org> on behalf of Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 12:39 PM
To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>

I was concerned this may have been a hive that fell off the back of a truck so I went and checked it out.

This is a temporary set-down yard of maybe 20 hives on pallets, clearly operated by either a commercial or sideline beekeeper. There was a beekeeper working the hives when I drove by -- I don't know whether he was the owner or a concerned respondent to this call-out. There was absolutely no threat to the public or passing traffic (this is a rural area with no structures within a 1/4 mile or more in any direction). The beekeeper was working a hive on the end of the back row, well away from the road.

Whoever called Chris and Bailey Bee Supply should have been interrogated for more complete information. This situation was the same as if a hive in my backyard had toppled over. That would be my personal problem, not a reason for a 4-alarm call-out.

IMPORTANT LESSON: If you have an out-yard such as this one, it is clearly important to post contact information in a conspicuous place so that you can be notified if something like this happens. A for-sale or election type sign with your name and cell phone number on it would be perfect. Fellow beekeepers shouldn't be expected to clean up messes in some anonymous person's bee yard.

Please provide the original source-person's contact information for these call-outs so the respondent can follow up before driving cross country.

Thanks,
Randall Austin