ocba - Re: [ocba] Feeding while nectar flow is on

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • To: Meredith Friedrick <friema16 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Feeding while nectar flow is on
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:50:51 -0400

You wouldn't want to feed a hive that you expect to extract honey from. It wouldn't be honey you were extracting. With a new package the situation is different. The bees have a huge amount of work to do to build all the comb required to establish a new hive and store enough reserves to get them through the summer and winter dirth. This requires a large carb intake from any sources available. I'm sure they'll enjoy the Tulip Poplar nectar, but you should make other sources available as well. I prefer in-hive feeders full of 1:1 sugar syrup for this. If the bees decide they don't want it you can remove it. I think they'll enjoy the syrup too though. Just don't use any open feeders if you plan to extract from any hives.

______

Walter

You never can tell with bees. ~ Winnie-the-Pooh