ocba - [ocba] Swarm to Nuc Integration

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Richard Brown <richardcameronbrown AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm to Nuc Integration
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:56:23 -0400

Good day OCBA,
Last week I collected a secondary swarm of about 8000 honey bees. I housed them in a ten frame deep swarm trap with ten frames foundation installed. After 3 days I checked them and found a considerable amount of comb drawn and they were starting to fill it with nectar and pollen. I did not see a queen or any signs of one being present. I will check again at the end of this week.
I of course have the option of installing a Queen however I'm thinking I might use them to augment 5 frame nucs that I will be getting the 1st of May.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how best to do this.
Here is a video of the swarm "collection".

https://youtu.be/Rl5QYTKWc_M

Thanks,
Rick Brown