ocba - [ocba] If you build it... Quick! Now what?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Brad Kosiba <bradkosiba AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] If you build it... Quick! Now what?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:15:34 -0400

Ok, so I hung a swarm trap up in the back yard some weeks ago.  The trap is a deep box with medium frames, 2/8 with old comb, the others with starter popsicle strips in the top edge of the frames.  Just this week I baited it with an unzipped ziplock baggie containing a Q-tip with one end dampened with a drop of lemon grass oil and one end spritz of queen pheremone.  It is hanging in a tree about 40 yards from my apiary.

And just now, someone else's swarm just arrived!  (my two hives are newly installed packages).

How long should I leave them be? The box is a bit tilted, so I don't want to wait too long while they build tilted comb.  I do have one of those easy to close circular door devices.

Can I expect to be able to just install them in a proper hive on the ground some 40 yards away or do I need to take them somewhere else first, some miles away so they don't get lost and go back to the tree when I move them?

Thanks for any advice.  A first swarm attracted is not a first swarm caught....

Cheers,

Brad

--
Bradley E Kosiba, PhD