ocba - [ocba] Swarm?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mike Johnson <mm AT reddrum.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:57:37 -0400

Did I just witness a swarm? There were thousands and thousands of bees! You could hear them from over 150' away. It was crazy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXP3bhbl-JU

I do not know if they are my bees or from somewhere else, however they were across the street and headed away from my yard. There are other bee hives at a farm in the direction they were headed.

My hives have looked good recently and I have not seen any indications of a swarm though the last time I went in was about two weeks ago. My wife was out mowing today and said she did not see anything unusual like tons of bees on the front of the hives. She did say she bumped one hive stand with the mower. Oops! Activity at the entrances looks pretty normal now too.

mike

  • [ocba] Swarm?, Mike Johnson, 04/15/2016