ocba - [ocba] Oxalic acid treatment for varroa

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Nerissa Rivera <nerissa.rivera AT duke.edu>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Oxalic acid treatment for varroa
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 17:50:51 +0000

I installed 2 packages last Friday and was thinking about treating both with Oxalic acid using a vaporizer.  I understand that the temp should be 61 degrees or less when I do the treatment.  I am hoping that late afternoon tomorrow will give me my window of opportunity temperature wise.  I would wait, but the treatment should be done when there is no brood in the hive.  Am I totally off to do this?  My aim was to start the season with as little varroa as possible.  I would still monitor the mite count as I go along, but hope not to have to treat again until late summer.  Just checking to see if my plan seems reasonable or if this is overkill.

Thanks for all feedback.

Nerissa