ocba - Re: [ocba] Property Owner wishing to host beehives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Information <info AT baileybeesupply.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "jackandjo.vest AT gmail.com" <jackandjo.vest AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Property Owner wishing to host beehives
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:54:18 -0400

To whom here who will consider this.

This area is not conducive for bee health. In 2012-13 we took ten hives there. By early 2013 all ten had perished. Various development stages from new packages to older stock. None of them built up and all dead. Multiple supercedures & failed queens.

The area is a monocrop industry for the 2 competing dairy farms. Both started growing gmo crops. Our girls would bring in the corn pollen & even the talc for planting. I posted pics in 2012 here with "white pollen". 😡

So just know your area & try best you can to avoid others past mistakes. Ours were on a retired 100 acre farm, but that didn't matter. 5 miles or up to 8,000 acres is a bees food shed.

Gmo corn grown for silage dominates the landscape. Even jack tapp who takes bees out to maple view lost 60% in that timeframe.

John from Eco farm has experienced the same to this day! High pollinator losses in that area. My other locations did fine those years with only "normal" losses near 20%.

Its why i became such an outspoken advocate for bees and our ecology. Chemically treated & sprayed mono-crop farm land is not good long term bee habitat.

Best of luck,
Marty

Sent from my iPhone