ocba - [ocba] frames with old moldy pollen + some kind of insect eggs?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Margaret Krome-Lukens <mskromelukens AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] frames with old moldy pollen + some kind of insect eggs?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:02:34 -0400

Hi folks,

Two questions!

1) I had a hive that (after a strong summer) took a nose dive, and squeaked through the winter with almost no bees.  (Shockingly, it seems to be on the path to recovery currently).  The bottom medium - which I removed this afternoon - was full of frames that were partly empty, and partly had cells with old pollen in them that appeared to have molded on top for lack of bees maintaining/using them:

Hard to see in the photo, but there are just a couple cells with a little bit of cobweb across them too - not widespread across the box, though.

My second hive has three mediums (newly full of honey, some of it getting capped, as well as brood, pollen, etc), is bursting with bees, and needs more space.

Would my second, seemingly very healthy hive, clean out the medium box of moldy pollen frames?  Or would the old frames be unhealthy for them, and I should just get new ones?

2) Anybody know what the shine oblong/rectangular egg-looking things are in this photo?  Found 'em in the bottom of a hive.  Sorry the picture's blurry!

Thanks y'all, this listserv is a fabulous resource!

Margaret