ocba - [ocba] Feeding question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Meredith Friedrick <friema16 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Feeding question
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 12:19:15 -0500

I made a candy board and put it on my hive for the winter.  My bees didn't use any of it and instead used up most of the honey nearest them.  I intend to take the candy board off and break up the contents to make a 2:1 solution with water.

I'm a newbee, so this is a novice question:
I put 2 packages of pollen substitute in the candy board with the 10# of sugar and I know at this time of year my bees need pollen with the sugar.  Will the pollen substitute be useful to the bees if dissolved in water, or do I need to sprinkle some on the frames and keep it in powder form?
Thanks!

Meredith Friedrick

  • [ocba] Feeding question, Meredith Friedrick, 03/08/2016