ocba - [ocba] Gone, all gone

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jacquelyn Clymore <jacquelynclymore AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Gone, all gone
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:52:48 +0000 (UTC)

Two weeks ago my hive seemed to look less robust than usual. I couldn't find the queen (but I rarely can, even though I'm a second year bee keeper), but I was concerned there wasn't enough brood, though quite a bit of honey and pollen. I added a feeder and closed up. Now...nothing! There are four bees, almost no honey and no bee bodies that I can locate. There is a strange, sort-of-fermented honey smell and lots of tiny wiggly white worms. I see no wax moths or other parasites aside from those. I did treat for mites over the summer. There was plenty of room for expansion and I had seen no signs of swarming.
Where, oh where did my bees go and why!? What are these nasty little worms? What should I have done differently?
I only had the one hive - had tried a split months ago, it didn't work so I combined them back again.

Please tell me what went wrong!
Jacquelyn Clymore