ocba - Re: [ocba] Defensive hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: John Cotterman <johncotterman AT yahoo.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Defensive hive
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:47:40 -0400

I'd second Walters notes and add YES honeybees do start to recognize their keepers.

Their response though is based on your actions and methods.

One very important note for all is to remember to some the bees then step back and wait. It's not instant and never in a dearth. I also place one hand on top of where I'm lifting the lid...to prevent that alarm "pop" a nicely propolis hive has. That sudden pop and going in to early before allowing smoke to work makes for all the difference!!

Good luck