ocba - [ocba] NC State Fair

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Meredith Friedrick <friema16 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] NC State Fair
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:39:54 -0400

Hello, All!

It’s hard to think about fall coming right now while we’re all dealing with high temps, wilting gardens, and keeping our bees fed and watered.  But one fun aspect of the high temps is that I’ve particularly enjoyed watching my bees “beard” late in the day – it’s almost like going to a drive-in movie!

But if you’re like me, you’ve probably also been longing for the crisp, cool air of fall evenings.  Fall really will be here before you know it and with change of season, come thoughts of the N.C. State Fair.

Why not show off some of the “fruits” of your hard work with your hives this past year?  Now is the time to start thinking and planning! Take a look at all of the categories for entry:

  • Collection of 12 nectar/pollen-producing plants (photos, models, or samples)

  • Comb honey and bulk honey frames

  • Cut comb honey (in containers without liquid honey)

  • Chunk honey in jars

  • Extracted honey

  • Creamed honey

  • Beeswax in bulk*

  • Pure beeswax products (novelties, candles, figurines, etc.)*

  • Novelty items containing beeswax*

  • Observation hive

  • Mead (non-carbonated, honey only) or Mead with fruit

  • Photography (beekeeping prints), in color or black and white

  • Foods cooked with honey

  • Beekeeping coloring book

  • Our OCBA booth (already “in the works”)

    Extensive details about the entries can be found at:  http://www.ncstatefair.org/2015/Competitions/Entering/documents/BeesHoney.pdf

    *In case you want to learn more about how to process and utilize your beeswax, our OCBA will offer a workshop before the Fair (more details to come).

    The levels of judging are junior (4H, FFA and FHA members under 18 years of age) and senior (all of us over 18).   Available prizes total $3,197!

    Please give lots of thought to entering the State Fair.  The deadline for the online/paper entry is September 18.  The Fair dates run from October 15 through 25, but items must be in place no later than 1:00 on October 14.

    I will be the snack server at the August 13th OCBA meeting and will love to talk with you about entries to the Fair.  Also, please don’t hesitate to email me with questions.

    Thanks,

    Meredith Friedrick  H

  • [ocba] NC State Fair, Meredith Friedrick, 07/21/2015