ocba - [ocba] Removing capped honey or just leave it alone

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Removing capped honey or just leave it alone
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 10:06:31 -0400

This year I am not harvesting honey...we ran out of stores this past winter and were saved by a bee-friend who had stored some capped honey from his previous year. So I am curious about whether I should removed and freeze some capped honey (storing offsite away from the hive) OR do i just leave it in place. My concern is whether having a larger hive will give more opportunity to pests (and more area for the workers to guard).

Right now my hives are comprised of two-deep brood boxes, 5 mediums (about 75% full of stores).

My preference would be to leave the resources in place and let the bees manage for themselves. But I don't want to encourage pests or encourage swarming due to lack of elbow room.

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences!

--
"There is nothing quite so useless, as doing with great efficiency, something that should not be done at all." ― Peter F. Drucker