ocba - Re: [ocba] Ask the experts

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • To: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Ask the experts
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 14:04:59 -0400

Mine tend to beard like that when it’s hot. The stronger ones anyway. I don’t think there’s too much to worry about.
___________________

Walter Starks

On Jul 8, 2015, at 1:23 PM, John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com> wrote:

Yesterday, one of my hives had two deeps and three medium supers. I pulled one of the supers off because the frames were fully capped. Of the 2 supers left, one is fully drawn and 60% filled, the other was new foundation two weeks ago and is now mostly drawn out with some nectar starting to be stored. So my assumption is that the bees have room to work and rear brood.

About three hours after I pulled the super I found bees bearding the front of the hive hanging almost to the ground (less so this morning). They are also clustered in back of the hive. You can see from the pics the hive sits on a wooden beam that allows a gap between the screened bottom board and the beam - both front and rear.

It is my guess that the bees simply got hot yesterday and are bearding front and back to pull air into the hive. But the fact that this occurred right after I pulled a honey super seems too coincidental. All thoughts as to what might be going on are welcomed. This is new to me and the other hive is acting “normal.”

Front of hive
<CIMG5957.JPG>

Back of hive
<CIMG5961.JPG>

John

No trees or bees were killed in the distribution of this message, but countless electrons were seriously inconvenienced.