ocba - Re: [ocba] Queen under hive.

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: rosemary wilson <rose.wilson AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Caleb Haynes <calebthaynes AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Bee List <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Queen under hive.
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:08:21 -0400

Yes, Caleb, that has happened to me too. I discovered a big, fat shiney queen under the hive when I was doing a full hive inspection last spring. I had lifted up the screened bottom board to give it a brush, moved a rock on the ground out of the way, and there she was. I scooped her up, and dropped her into a hive body. I don’t know whether there was already a queen on the job, but all was well with the colony anyway.