ocba - [ocba] Accidental swarm catch!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Ellis Driver <ellisdriver AT gmail.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Accidental swarm catch!
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:03:31 -0400

Hello!

 A couple months ago I lost my bees when the snowstorm blew off the hive lid, and needless to say the hive was real gross and the honey was ruined. I had just left it at the edge of the field where it was, unsure of how to clean it out. Yesterday though a good-sized swarm of bees moved back into the hive and now I am wondering how to proceed. There are two deep supers of drawn comb, but each super has at least 4-5 frames of mostly fermented honey. Can I simply replace those frames? Or do I need to move all the bees to a fresh hive? Can I do that now? There are definitely quite a few other critters that moved in while the bees were gone, I don't know if that is a big concern or not.

I am not sure if this is a common situation or how long I should let them settle before moving them around. Any advice appreciated! I am really delighted by this and want to make sure they are in a good home.

Thanks,

Ellis