ocba - [ocba] To requeen or not to requeen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: George Morris <juncus215 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] To requeen or not to requeen
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 18:36:20 -0400

Help/ advice!!!
We have 2 hive that both swarmed this spring, and unfortunately we did not
catch the swarms. But after we inspected the hives, we initially saw a queen
in both hives. Swarming happened over a week ago on both hives and we went
into them today to look for the queens and or fresh eggs. We saw neither.
The question is, are we early for seeing eggs laid by a new queen, even if we
didn't see the queen, or should we be seeing signs of eggs at this stage.
Should we requeen, with purchased queens or give it some more time?

Any advice is good advice, and if someone has some time to come over and take
a look, that would also be appriciated. Our hives are located on the west
side of Chapel Hill.

George