ocba - [ocba] Multifactorial challenge

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Hamsiba Family <hamsibas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Multifactorial challenge
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:58:35 -0400

It has been a hectic spring and our bees were a bit neglected as we coped with some work and family challenges.  Our one overwintered (combined in the fall from two) hive is very full.  Space is at a premium.  Unfortunately, the brood is up pretty high and the 8-10 swarm cells were all hanging from the upper frames of two deeps.  They all got broken as we pulled up the upper frames to inspect.  There are a few open brood but we could not see much in the way of eggs.

On top of this, this was our first sugar shake and we shook a 21. (It was 0 in the fall after Thymol)

Our goal this year (yes Randall, we have a clear goal!) is more bees.  I had planned to pull out a couple of nucs, before the rest of life distracted us off for the last month or so.  Any honey will probably just be used to beef up the winter stores or spare frames in the freezer.

Any suggestions addressing more bees, lack of egg laying space, loss of all obvious queen cells and lots of mites are appreciated.

(And you folks trusted me to mentor newbees?)

Thanks,  Brad