ocba - [ocba] Swarm season is upon us

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm season is upon us
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 17:10:52 -0400

I inspected my stronger hive last Friday. I found 14+ swarm cells. I moved 1
frame w/ 7 swarm cells and 2 frames of honey/pollen/capped brood to a nuc. I
replaced those 3 stolen frames with empty foundation in the original hive and
added a medium super of foundation to the top hoping that all of the extra
room would encourage the colony to cancel the impending swarm.

Late this afternoon, the bees swarmed. I'm watching them, clustered on a
branch of a tree some 60 feet off the ground, as I write.

Bee'keeping' is hard. Bee propagation is easy.

John Rintoul
(919) 414-407

  • [ocba] Swarm season is upon us, John Rintoul, 04/08/2015