ocba - Re: [ocba] nectar flow

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Margaret Krome-Lukens <mskromelukens AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] nectar flow
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 08:51:46 -0400

Hey margaret

Yes it can vary as much as a month. We are in a delayed pattern right now
with only a few sources coming in. Last year I had honey supers on in mid
March. At one of my yards now they are working something hard so it even
varies across OC.

You will learn to tell by the bee traffic out front and also the smell.
Always use all your senses when working bees. Your learn the aroma of a
nectar flow and the late shift sound of buzzing coming from the fanning of
nectar to reduce moisture.

It's coming...I'm seeing leave on the tulip poplars and black berries.

Enjoy the ride
Marty

Sent from my iPhone