ocba - [ocba] nosema questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Wright <catherine.wright AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] nosema questions
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 13:10:13 -0400

Hi everyone:

I have a question about nosema. My family installed hives for the first time last spring. One survived the winter. The other had very small numbers going into winter and did not survive. We found signs of defecation on four frames from this hive. A small cluster of dead bees were on two of these frames where brood was emerging. Most dead bees were on the bottom board. Some were in the top feeder in syrup. My question is: Do the signs of defecation inside the hive signal nosema? If so, what do we do with the frames/comb and honey/pollen?

Thanks,

Catherine