ocba - Re: [ocba] Making more from a hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Mike Johnson <mm AT reddrum.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Making more from a hive
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 20:07:31 -0400

Great question.

If all of those boxes are full of brood and food you can get by with dividing
in half or more aggressive and make four boxes. Just depends on the eggs and
larvae count.

This time of year you can have 5 deep frames and 8 med (nucs) to start off.

It also depends on your equipment. You'll need lids and bottoms for all the
hives you want. Take a look in and see how many young bees you have, but
first id go in and look for swarm cells. As you go through I like to mark the
top of the frame with a black marker. P for pollen. N for nectar, B fir Brood
and most importantly E for eggs.

Good luck...best time of year to build up your yard.

Marty
just bee

Sent from my iPhone