ocba - Re: [ocba] Queen but no brood

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Starks, Walter" <Walter.Starks AT facilities.unc.edu>, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Queen but no brood
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 19:20:15 -0500

If you pinch her now, what will you replace her with? It is too early in our area to rely on the bees making a well-mated queen.

Was there lots of pollen in the hive? No brood may not be the queen's fault -- if there is no protein, the bees will cannibalize the eggs and brood.

I have had late-start queens that boomed once spring genuinely begins. Carniolans and Russians are known for this trait. If she were mine, I would give her a bit more time.

Randall