ocba - Re: [ocba] insulating bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: "jacquelynclymore AT yahoo.com" <jacquelynclymore AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Morris <juncus215 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] insulating bees
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 22:49:39 -0500

Both. It's best on southern sides of the hive for solar heat gain.

Bee hives suck at holding in "bee heat". They have less than an r-1 thermal rating. So the girls loose a bit of there heat out and up. Bee heat comes from food stores.

While ventilation is key there has to be balance on single digit nights. The importance of venting is because the hive bodies suck do bad at holding heat. Think of a single glass pane in a warm home on a cold night.  Where do you see the moisture? On the thin glass. For bees it's the underside of the lid.

The insulation on top helps to slow down heat loss.

Mh

Sent from my iPhone