ocba - [ocba] Optimum Time to Split Hive?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jonathan Blitz <blitzlaw AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Optimum Time to Split Hive?
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 11:34:29 -0500

Hi All,

I consolidated my two hives into one last fall when it seemed like one my
queens was lost. The remaining hive seems to have made it through the winter
well. I’m now feeding heavy syrup to get them through to the warmer weather
and first nectar flows.

When is the optimal time to split this hive back into two?

There is some mold on the drawn foundation on a few frames I pulled out from
last year, even though they’ve been kept pretty dry. It doesn’t seem like
much, and I don’t really know what to do about it. My gut instinct tells me
the ladies will clean these up just fine, but is this a bad move?

Finally, what’s the best procedure to split the hives? Is it as simple as
setting up the new hive and putting an equal number of frames in each?

Thanks to all, and we’re looking forward to a great bee year!

Best,
Blitz

What is Mystic? www.WhatIsMystic.com