ocba - Re: [ocba] Carrboro bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Carrboro bees
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:47:01 -0500

Randall,

Thanks for the link to At the Hive Entrance. I downloaded it for my winter reading.

Catherine Adamson, who also keeps bees in Carrboro, pointed out that finding pollen in an urban environment is a bit easier. Since many urban gardeners often try to keep something in bloom during every month of the year the bees can generally find something. In the neighborhoods around me the camellias are in bloom. Catherine noted that mahonia is also abundant in Carrboro. She was in agreement with you that the time away from the hive is too short for full on foraging, but noted that an occasional snack can be found by an opportunistic forager.

John Rintoul