ocba - Re: [ocba] Getting first packages of bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Wilson" <infomet AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: "Meredith Friedrick" <friema16 AT gmail.com>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Getting first packages of bees
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:27:32 -0400

Best of all is a strong nuc from as close as possible.
I think one from a known competent beekeeper, assembled for a few weeks, with plenty of eggs and brood in place and a visible queen is best.
I have had bad luck, no doubt partly my own fault, with trucked in packages.
I never felt there were as many bees as expected and they never thrived the way local bees have.
I know we’ll never have all the nucs we need from local sources, but they do show up.
Being caged with a few thousand of your closest friends, bounced over the road, overheated and/or overcooled, and maybe rained on can’t be a good way to start a new family!
It may well be sensible to buy a whole, thriving hive.  When you count the equipment, the bees, and the possibility of getting some honey, it may be a good deal.

Not asked, but I suggest you start shadowing a couple of our experienced members for some inspections/hive work.
You’ll be better able to handle your bees after getting some practice among the experts.
Also, when you are relaxed and know what you’re doing you’ll be less likely to be stung or to make silly mistakes.

All this from a mostly unsuccessful beekeeper who now has one strong hive, from a local nuc.

Wilson Lamb

Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 8:56 PM
Subject: [ocba] Getting first packages of bees

Here's a real novice question:

I don't have bees yet (don't have the hives yet either) and want to order some now for arrival in spring.  Through reading the posts on the listserv, I read that getting local queens is preferable to getting them shipped from long distances (due to travel and disruption, etc., I guess).  Is there such a thing as getting locally-raised packages of bees (with the queens) in order to keep from being shipped from a great distance?  If so, where can I get them and when should I order them?

Thanks in advance,
Meredith Friedrick