ocba - [ocba] New Bee Keeper seeking advice

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Moses Carey" <mcarey5 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] New Bee Keeper seeking advice
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:38:16 -0400

The hive seen in the attachment (taken today at 8 am) was started in April.   The top medium super is loaded with honey and I have some hive beetles, but they appear manageable.  In the last two weeks, the bees have been gathering on the outside of the hive in day and night as seen on the attachment.  I stopped feeding them last week.  Is this behavior normal or does this mean:

1.      That I have problems with the hive?

2.      That they are about to swarm?

3.      That the hive is OK, but over populated and I need to add another super to give them more room to grow or just get inside during the night?

4.      Can the hive survive if I take the honey in the filled medium on top and replace with a new one?

Any advice would be helpful.

Moses Carey