ocba - Re: [ocba] Help, Again

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Morris <juncus215 AT gmail.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Help, Again
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:16:57 -0400

Hey George,

If your best guess is that the queen emerged shortly before 7/20, then it is too early to expect to see eggs. Never say never, but that isn't what I would expect. And new queens are often difficult to see -- they often scamper around more than "old maid" queens, and aren't as plump as they will be when they start laying in earnest.

The article here discusses your situation. Since you are going away for a week, I would recommend waiting until you return to check again.

Beekeeping requires patience, something that I must constantly remind myself of!

Randall Austin